I love being screamed at.
Especially while driving.
Thankfully, it was just me and him. This time, his siblings were spared the peripheral damage.
For no real reason. That’s often how it is. There’s no inciting incident, just some bottled up rage that had to come out full force and full volume on the way home from karate.
- Maybe because he came in 3rd place out of 4 losing to lower belts during sparring practice?
- Or because he was up past his bedtime last night?
- Or because he refused to eat the string cheese–I knew he was hungry and so did he!
- Or because I just could NOT understand or correctly answer the absolutely off the wall question he was repeatedly asking me over and over…and louder and louder…
- Or, most devastatingly, for no reason at all.
Because something inside him said, “you’re angry, let ‘er rip”. No matter that it’s your wonderful, sweet, loving, patient, takes so much crap from you and keeps coming back in for a hug mom.
I’m learning how important self-care and hope is in this season. I end up the brunt of misplaced and unprovoked anger, frustration and unkindness. And later when I’m still trying to just breathe and he doesn’t even remember doing it…or just won’t admit it. Dear Jesus, please take the wheel! I’ll be curled up in the trunk hiding from the monster…
Looking forward to some more specific answers beyond four letters in the near future. ADHD. It’s so much bigger than its little acronym lets on…
We’ve recruited an entire team to help us from every angle. All the people! All the things!
Yet, this alone space…it’s so loud and complex here.
So until we figure out how to connect and support each other, carry on beleaguered warriors. I have to believe the fight for this one is worth the bruises.